2015-05-22, 08:30 PM
Haishiro Wrote:Agree with most of Zelkova's suggestions with some additional opinions:
-Original MoBo was overkill IMO. I have the same CPU with an AsRock Z97 Extreme4 and it's still more than I really need. That's $30 immediate savings. I would advise against getting one with integrated wireless; although I haven't used one it seems kind of gimmicky to me. Why not just get a "regular" MoBo and then get a cheap wireless dongle (<- 5 second Google search, not a specific recommendation)? If you just plug it in to one of your back USB slots it shouldn't be too big of a deal unless you have 6+ USB devices connected all the time, but even then you should be looking at getting a USB hub.
-CPU Fan that Zelkova suggested is THE best for the price point. However, if you don't even understand overclocking, let alone plan to do it seriously, why are you buying a CPU fan? Intel CPUs come with a stock cooler fan, so you don't need to buy one unless you're looking into overclocking your system. Same thing with the case fans except in extreme cases (like, you put your desktop in a really hot room or on a rug). These are unnecessary purchases if you want to save some money. (Unless you really want to overclock ... then go ahead).
-I disagree with getting a 1TB HDD. First of all, if you don't have a lot of things to store on the drive, then you can make do for now and put stuff on the SSD. Contrary to what a bunch of people say, SSD read/write limits are not a major factor with the current level of SSD technology unless you are a heavy user. If you do need lots of storage, then go for the best $/TB HDD at the moment which is 3~4 TB HDDs at about $30/TB. You're paying an extra 66% on that dinky 1TB for marginally more space than the SSD. Your upfront cost for getting a bigger HDD will be higher, of course.
-I personally feel like the GPU is a bit pricey for 1) the general prices that 970s go for nowadays, and 2) given that the next generation is coming soon[SUP]TM[/SUP]. But that's just my opinion; it's a great GPU choice.
- I just feel like wireless adapters would be more of a hit or miss type of thing than having it built into the motherboard would. I spent the last ~40 minutes browsing newegg for wireless adapters under the $20 mark and reading their reviews, and none of them seem to be completely stable. Lots of people mention having their internet drop several times throughout the day, or not having the signal strength be as strong as it should be, etc.
- Stock fans aren't very good though, are they? I don't mind spending a little extra if it means extending the life a bit. I like to play lots of games and run multiple programs in the background at the same time so anything to help keep it cooler is a worthwhile purchase in my book.
- My current laptop is just a 500 Gb hard drive and I'm scraping for space on that, so I think 1 Tb in combination with a 250 Gb SSD is plenty. I'd rather not spend extra on space I'll never use just because it's more cost efficient. I guess I could drop the SSD down to a 120 Gb since I won't be installing games on there though.

